Friday, September 26, 2008

I Heart Mashed Potatoes

Since I was a young child, I have loved mashed potatoes. No matter how full I am at the end of a meal, none shall go wasted in my house.

One thing I don't like is actually making mashed potatoes. I even have a potato ricer so I can make smooth, velvety spuds like my MIL made when Paul was a child.

So, I'm in love with prepared spuds that can be purchased in all different varieties at the Crazy B.

This week, I tried the H-E-B brand Homestyle Mashed Potatoes. It was love at first bite! The texture isn't like the other prefab ones - nor is it like the ones served with an ice cream scoop. Instead, they were this fluffy, starchy pillow of potatoey goodness.

Others I've tried and think are buy-worthy:
  • Simply Potatoes. I love all the varieties, though I haven't tried the sweet spuds.
  • Ore Ida frozen mashed potatoes. They were my intro to premashed pots. I first tried them as recommended in a recipe for my delish Cheesy Garlic Potatoes (see below). I think this may have been the first incarnation of the prefab spuds, but looking at their site - they no longer offer them. (I've moved on since those days in 1998-99.)
  • Country Crock. I have to admit that I like the Deluxe Loaded variety. I bought them once by accident, and I think they're pretty tasty (when I'm in the mood for bacon).

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes

Your choice of prepared mashed potatoes, heated according to package
directions

Garlic and Herb Alouette spread

Shredded Cheddar Cheese, to taste

Add the Alouette and cheddar cheese, to taste. Microwave and add a
little milk, if needed. Yummy!

2 comments:

Captain Dumbass said...

My 'cooking' usually means I'll add some frozen vegetable and an egg in my instant noodles, but the one thing I can do is mash some damn fine potatoes.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love mashed potatoes! I never thought about making cheddar and garlic ones. Great idea!